In the PTE test, your writing skills will be assessed. You will not be judged on your ability to read graphs and charts, but on the quality of your writing. The Writing section is demanding to say the very least. You have to summarize a written text without overcomplicating the sentences, not to mention that you have to complete the essay on time. These 2 sections are intimidating, especially if you have not had experience with English proficiency tests. To improve your PTE writing skills, join a preparation class. Google PTE Classes Melbourne and you will find many results. Also, you can benefit greatly from these tips.
Summarizing written text
Writing a good summary should not be difficult. All you have to do is to write a summary of the given paragraphs. Although it may sound simple enough, giving the basic ideas of the original reading is far from being simple. On the one hand, you have to identify the main ideas and express them in your own words. On the other hand, you have to be careful so as not to use complex sentences. When it comes to writing a summary, keep these points in mind:
- Concentrate on the main ideas. The aim is to understand the purpose of the text. What you should be looking for is explanations, details, opinions, and supporting ideas.
- Write only ONE sentence. For each paragraph, write the summary in one full stop sentence. Avoid using more than comas. Use the information provided in the text to write a topic sentence.
- Check your writing for accuracy. Re-read what you have written and make sure that you have represented the author’s ideas with precision.
You are capable of producing text that is all-embracing yet brief. But are you capable of writing a good essay? This is what you will have to do for the Pearson Test of English: writing a response in standard academic English. Even though the essay is 300 words long, this does not mean that it is easy. The written discourse has to be coherent and to contain no grammatical errors. What is more, you will be assessed based on formatting sentences and sticking to the topic given. Here are some tips for you to improve your essay writing skills:
- Start writing every day. The best way to learn academic writing is to do it over and over again. By writing every day, you improve your skills and you will no longer feel intimidated about writing.
- Keep things simple. Most people fail because they try to write complicated sentences. What you should do is stick to simple sentences. The likelihood of making mistakes is slim and the evaluator will appreciate a clear, logical written discourse.
- Use online resources. There are plenty of online resources at your disposal, like Merriam Webster or the Oxford Dictionary. Use them to correct your sentences or to find new expressions. The last thing you should do is submit a writing piece that is full of errors.