Have you ever wondered what exactly can you do to sanitize your private well system? What treatment should you use to safely and effectively disinfect the home water systems? Well, this is the right place to be to discover more information about means of treating private wells. Also, you will be pleasantly surprised to discover that a good quality whole house water filter will do wonders for you and your family.
At first, it’s quite important to know that there are plenty of methods for the treatment of private wells. According to several experts, if you can afford multiple treatments, it’s important to use them all to disinfect the wells, because a single one cannot protect against all problems. There are plenty of reasons to use a whole house water filter. The main reason is that it removes the contaminants and improves the taste of drinking water.
The effectiveness of household water treatment systems
When it comes to treat or disinfect our private wells, things are a bit complicated. There is nothing more important than our health and we all wish to do things right to maintain good health. There are various types of systems available for sale and each one has its pros and cons. The filtration systems consist of water filters that eliminate impurities from water. The water softeners are meant to reduce the hardness of the water. While the distillation system consists of boiling water to remove the impurities, the disinfection process is more likely a pathogenic microorganism’s killer. To get professional advice and determine the best treatment option, it’s recommended to contact a water well expert.
Standard treatment- Shock chlorination
The most popular treatment regarding private wells is the shock chlorination. Most people choose this treatment as it is extremely easy to proceed. All you have to do is to use household liquid bleach or chlorine to disinfect the well. Also, according to several experts, this is the most recommended method to kill bacterial contamination. Fast and effective, we would say! However, there are a few things to consider before starting this process. Therefore, the shock chlorination process should be used if:
- water test results show the presence of contaminants or bacteria
- you do your annual repair or maintenance
- the well is exposed to rainwater
- the test results show the presence of iron bacteria
- the water has an odor
Theoretically, this process is effective and leads to impressive results. However, there are factors that may occur and interfere in the chlorination process.
- poor installation of private well
- inadequate well construction
- improper use of the shock chlorination process
Precautions after well disinfection process
According to most specialists, after using one of the above well treatments, the water will be drinkable again after two weeks, at least. However, it’s recommended to do several tests that will show the absence of bacteria and other contaminants. If the tests will show again the presence of contaminants, the disinfection treatment should be resumed.
Side effects of contaminant wells
According to the latest statistics compiled by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, we are living in the country with the safest drinking water supplies in the world. There are so many laws regarding the protection of public water systems, that finding contaminants or chemical issues in the tap water it’s a bit hard. However, contamination or malfunctioning systems can occur and we need to handle them properly. You will find above several solutions for private well treatment.
As mentioned above, before consuming tap water, it’s recommended to test it and see its quality. The water can be contaminated with the following bacteria and pollutants:
- heavy metals
- organic chemicals
- fecal matter
As such, if it’s contaminated, you can experience several symptoms that lead to the following health diseases:
- intestinal cramping
- stomach pains
You may wonder how you realize that your drinking water is contaminated. Sometimes, it is just the smell that will reveal the issue. Also, it could be the water’s color. Many contaminants have no taste, so it’s a bit difficult to discover any contamination issue. However, if the watercolor is different and it tastes or smells a bit strange, well then surely something is not right